Saturday, September 27, 2014

A Painting a Day - Day 27

I started following a Facebook page called Monarch Butterfly Garden two years ago which reports on Monarch butterflies, their migration, their life cycle, their favorite flowers... that sort of thing. Last summer was hard on the Monarchs. Their numbers had dwindled to an all time low. According to the link on this page, some scientists were concerned that the Monarch might be in danger of losing their migration pattern. The whole thing made me sad. I learned about milkweed and looked into finding seeds to plant. It felt awful not seeing but one last fall when I could remember seeing so many in years gone by.

Then this spring and summer a wonderful thing happened. The butterflies rebounded. And it was because the drought of the past 3 years had ended in the Midwest. Any time I saw grassy areas I looked for milkweeds and sure enough, they were growing. I even saw milkweed growing undisturbed in medians on state roads. Clearly even regional groups were trying to help the monarch come back. And it seems to be working. I have seen so many this year. My daughter even told me the teachers had prevented her and her classmates from playing on the concrete on the play ground because a large group of Monarchs had pooled on the warm cement and the children had been told they could not play there until the butterflies left. My daughter said with a chagrin that the butterflies stayed the entire recess!

For me the Monarch represents, not only the image of rebirth, which reminds me of my spiritual journey as a Christian, for I am a new creation in Christ, but it also represents my journey to becoming an artist. Even as the Monarch follows her calling to that long flight to Mexico, I have finally followed my calling to create art. It has been a long journey and it has been one I was not sure I would ever take. But today I am. So when I see the Monarchs passing by, heading for their wintering place, I rejoice because I know God has it handled.

This Monarch is my 27th painting in my series of 100 animal paintings in 100 days. It is available for sale for $27. It is 8 x 10 and ready to frame. If you would like to buy it for yourself or as a gift for someone else, please email me at lauraparkhurstillustrator@gmail.com. The first person I hear from can purchase it.

Thanks so much for following me on my journey. I hope you will continue to do so. I love the company!

No comments:

Post a Comment