Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Tree Swing

This week's theme on Illustration Friday is "Tree".  When I was a kid, my sister and I would spend hours swinging from the tire swing my dad had hung from an old walnut tree in the back yard.  It stood at the top of a gentle slope and so when you swung out on that tire, it felt like you were so far above the ground.  We would take turns spinning the swing until we were dizzy.  We would pretend we were flying on the swing.

I miss those days.  The tree is gone now.  But I have memories that are sweet and fun to recall.  Maybe I'll have a tire swing again some day.  Don't know if my joints and bones will like it, but it would be fun to fly and spin.

This week I kept the sketch looser than I usually do.  I wasn't sure I could get the foliage right.  But I think the implied leaves and shadows and light passing through comes out.  Trees are hard to draw.  I think I got this one close to right.

4 comments:

  1. Fun! I think you did a nice job with the sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! I was trying to make it look sunny.

      Delete
  2. Nice illustration! Really reminded me how it was fun to swing, fly high and spin in the tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyeeta! I'm glad I could bring a happy memory to your mind :)

      Delete