Monday, October 13, 2014

A Painting a Day - Day 43

Today I wanted to get back to telling stories. This is from Aesop's story of the fox and the crow and the price one pays for their vanity. In the case of the crow, she lost her cheese to the flattering fox.

Illustrating for stories has had a special appeal to me since I was in high school. In sophomore English we studied the Odyssey, I drew portraits of the major female characters as well as the main Greek goddesses who lived on Olympus. Drawing pictures for a story helps to make the story feel closer. I think children love illustrated stories because of that. Pictures invite them into a book. Words make the pictures happen. Words in well told stories are like an elegant drawing with a satisfying composition. Illustrations are like color added to the drawing, enriching and enlivening it.

This illustration is my offering for day 43. It is available for sale for $43. If you would like to purchase it please email me at lauraparkhurstillustrator@gmail.com. The first person I hear from can buy it. It is 8 x 10 and ready for a frame. I think it would look lovely in a child's room or any room for that matter!

Thanks so much for coming to see my art today. Hope you can come by again tomorrow for a new painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment