Thursday, October 9, 2014

A Painting a Day - Day 39

When I was growing up, drawing horses was my escape. I loved to make their necks long and graceful, more like a swan then an actual horse. Their manes and tails would float around them like flames. I would make their eyes large and expressive. In the lines that formed them, I would get lost by creating something ideal and lovely, dreaming of real horses and wishing I didn't feel so lonely.

Growing up is hard work and kids find different ways to cope, some good, some harmful. I can't say that escapism was the best way to deal with my feelings, but I didn't know a better way and I was too afraid to find a different way. In a drawing of a horse I would feel their power and freedom. I wanted both of those things and felt they were completely out of reach. Living in the fantasy I could identify with the creatures I was drawing.

Giving them up for a while was part of becoming mature. I have learned how to reach out to people and overcome my loneliness. I have learned that freedom and power are a state of mind as much as feeling like a victim is. Escaping into a fantasy never helps. Now I can draw the horses and just love their beauty and their form because they are amazing animals. I see my own beauty too now.

This horse if my 39th painting in my series of 100. It is 8 x 10 and available for sale for $39. If you would like to purchase it, please email me at lauraparkhurstillustrator@gmail.com. The first person I hear from can buy it.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Reaching out to others through this medium has been such a blessing! I'm glad you are here and I hope you can come again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment