Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Voices of Inspiration

As I am doing the work of art and crafting, I'm looking for inspiration, anything or anyone who can strengthen me and keep me motivated is part of the resources needed to be creative.

Last week I wrote about friends who encourage us in our creativity and who are open to sharing their creativity   Now I am thinking of mentors.

A mentor might be someone you know, but it also might be an author or artist or musician or some other form of creative person who inspires but whom you have not met in person.  I am so thankful there are generous people out there who are blogging or making videos or books or performing so that we can participate and also absorb and be inspired.

This week I felt inspired by Jeff Goins, a writer and blogger our of Tennessee who often talks about claiming your dream today rather than saying, "Some day I will be a ...."  He says his life changed when he started calling himself a writer rather than saying one day he would become a writer.

So I am calling myself an illustrator and writer.  I am not going to do it someday.  I am going it right now!  Maybe I'm not getting paid for it, but I don't get paid to be a mom and I am definitely a mom!!

Here is a link to Jeff's blog and a really cool interview about this topic.  So find someone you can emulate and draw inspiration from.  You don't have to know them, just watch them.  Then, start claiming your dream today!

Please leave a comment!  I'd love to know who inspires you in your dream.

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! It's so inspiring!
    I also am calling myself an artist, illustrator and writer. The first step comes from ourselves, so it's important to see ourselves as we are in the present.
    Have you read the book "The Artist Way" by Julia Cameron? I've read that book and I've tried to do all the exercises of the book. It was very helpful to me! This book helped me liberate fears that were blocking me as an artist. It helped me to work harder without judging the results, and still makes me to play more, to do experiments, and I am growing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Yara, I have "The Artist Way" on my side table where it is waiting for me to pick it up again. I got almost halfway through it last year and even that amount help me too. Now reading how it helped you just convinces me that I need to pick it up soon and get back at her exercises. I am so excited for you that you are growing and creating! Keep it up!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete