Monday, October 22, 2012

Am I Doing this for God or for me?

I think of all the things I am posting here, this will be the most difficult.  I think it is a struggle many Christians have; how do I do my work to bring glory to God?  Is that even possible?

In Colossians 3:23-24 Paul says, "In all the work you are doing, work the best you can.  Work as if you were doing it for the Lord, not for people.  Remember that you will receive your reward from the Lord, which he promised to his people.  You are serving the Lord Christ." (NCV)

So how do I make art, make literature, make a profit (if there is one to be made) and still do it as if God is my employer, because he really is, providing all I need to live in his unseen way?  Do I only talk of Christ and make art that directly refers to him, or do I just practice my craft to the very best of my ability to make that which is beautiful because all beauty hearkens back to the Creator?

Even having this blog is questionable.  Am I glorifying God or am I seeking glory for myself?  Have I made something that bears witness to God's goodness or has it only shown off my own skills, which are simply gifts from God?  Have I done my best work, because if I am truly in the employ of the King of the Universe, my best work is required?  Am I trusting the Lord for my reward or am I seeking something that is not from him?

I do not know how much of what I do is really for God; maybe very little.  Much of what I do is probably a product of worry and ambition.  But every day is a day to draw near to Christ and seek God's face.  I depend on God's grace to cover my meager efforts and make my work worthy.

As I continue forward, stretching to do my best, I pray that what I do will be for God's glory and that I will trust him with the rest.

Perhaps you struggle to find meaning in your work.  Please leave a comment and share your struggle or perhaps you triumph.  You can be an encouragement to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment