Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sad Charlie and His Crooked Tail

This is my piece for this week's Illustration Friday theme "crooked". I thought I would try something new and I am not that pleased with it.  I have wanted to try ink and watercolor, but I'm not feeling it.  Since I am new at it, I found it difficult to control the ink.  I am also disappointed with the scan which has washed all the color out.  But, it is Wednesday night and I wanted to enter this, which I have been working on all week.  I was also trying to compose the picture in a more academic way, by using the golden section division.  I feel like I need to work on how I lay out the composition of my work.

In a way,  I am feeling like Charlie here.  Everyone else is beauty and talent and I'm feeling very self-conscious.  But, I am going to play anyway!  Thanks for checking out my work!

8 comments:

  1. Awww! Poor Charlie! Great expression & cute illo! Sorry you aren't pleased with the results, but sometimes you can find some benefit from the exercise itself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mit for taking the time to comment. Your words are encouraging and I do feel that I benefited from the exercise.

      Delete
  2. Poor Charlie : ( I love the dogs in the background they look happy and excited to be out running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah for your comment. I am glad the emotions of the characters came through!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's really great! It tells a nice story (well, a sad one!) and all the dogs are nicely done and full of personality. I bet he makes some friends soon and then he'll forget about his tail. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy for your comment! I am going to try to redo the picture colored pencils this time because it is the colors and the inking I am so dissatisfied with. I just seem to do better with those. I really appreciate the compliments and encouragement. It makes me feel better about the picture and maybe I will expand on it and continue the story!

      Delete
  5. I have no idea about the academic, golden, composition gibberish you're speaking, but I think it's great work, and I think it should definitely become a whole story! Looks like it would be really cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete