Thursday, May 16, 2013

Art as Meditation

I drew this little ball in a moment of need.  I was needing some peace.  And as I drew out the shape and then applied the hatching in indigo blue, I began to feel the stress I was feeling leave my body, melting onto the page.  The quietness of the shape with its smooth roundness and the calmness of the color, helped me to shift my focus away from the issues which had been pestering me to the process of taking what I saw and translating it to the blank paper.

It is easy to forget the healing power of creativity.  Music uplifts us, colors change our moods, making something with our hands gives our minds rest.  It is a crime against ourselves to think that art is frivolous when it offers peace to us.

Thank you for stopping to check out this post.  I hope you are inspired to let creativity sweep your heart clean and offer you a place to rest in this hectic world.  Please leave a comment and share how you use creativity to decompress.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so true! Everything you said here rings true for me, and I love the illustration. It's calming just to study it for a few seconds. It's great that you can use art in this way for yourself. I'm learning to do it but often I freak out first!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, LA! I know what you mean. I was actually freaking out before I started this sketch. But something told me to draw. It hasn't been something I do up until recently. I am learning to use this gift to center myself, because when I am really flowing in producing a piece of art, am so quiet and focused and fear and anxiety are gone. So, when I was upset at the time of this sketch, I had a moment of clarity long enough to grab a pencil and paper. So glad you are discovering this for yourself! Love your work by the way! Good luck to you!

      Delete