Thursday, March 28, 2013

Add to the Beauty

















Looking at other's people's art can either be inspiring or it can be discouraging. I don't know how many times I have looked at art work and thought, "My stuff looks so childish and unfinished. I can't compete with that!"  Now, that can completely stop the creative process.  But if I can look at other's art work and say, "That is so beautiful, I want to make something beautiful too," then I am looking with eyes that are not clouded with my own ego but rather they are lighted by understanding that we are all creative creatures, born to create.

Appreciating another artist's work should bring out the best in other creatives, not squash any hope they have of making something lovely.  I spent an hour or so on deviantart.com this evening as well as a couple of artist's pages on Facebook.  On other day that would have put a wet blanket on my creative drive, but tonight, it was as if I was ready to be stirred up and looking at other's art work made me want to create too.

The next time we feel discouraged about our art because we think someone else is "doing it better", remember, you were given your gift just for you and that means it is unique to you.  Art shouldn't always be one pitted against another.  Rather we all contribute to the beauty of the world by every creative effort we make.  It is so much the inclination of human beings to make that which is ugly (ie. war, murder, lies, gossip, etc. you get the idea).  Any time we can make beauty it is a good thing.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you were encouraged to go and make something lovely!  Please leave a comment and a link if you post it on line.  I'd love to see what you do!  Blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment