Saturday, January 26, 2013

Reevaluating My Motivation

Over the past several weeks I have been finding myself questioning all of this "pursuing a career" stuff.  I've never been a career minded person to begin with (having a job was a means to an end, that being supporting my family) so I just thought I was having a case of cold feet, experiencing the fear and uncertainty of a new venture.  Tonight, though, I am wondering if the motivation I have been using to keep me working has been bothering me because it grinds against the way I am made and what I believe.  Maybe my not being a "career person" is just who I am.

When I speak of a career person, I mean the idea that I am only doing this or that job because there is a carrot called money dangling in my face and I am really wanting that carrot.  This makes me uncomfortable spiritually.  I acknowledge that I need money, we all do, but if I claim faith in in God, do I not trust that he will provide for me, so striving with only avarice in my heart denies that faith.  But if I work at my job, what ever it might be with an eye on being a blessing to others and trust God to care for my physical needs, I work with a motivation that is more nourishing to my soul.

Creating art has been seen a as a soulful pursuit, not a money making scheme.  If artists made art and people fell over themselves to buy it, it would be seen as a money making scheme.  Having said that, I know there are a handful of artists, who are famous and adored by millions, whether visual artist, musicians or writers, and they are multi-millionairs, but they are a rarefied group.  What about the rest of us?  What about me?  I would like to make a living from my art, but I never have.  I have never really tried.  But I have also never made art with the idea of being a blessing.

What would happen if I did?

So maybe I need a New Year's Resolution for the end of January (it's never too late to make a resolution to change for the better).  I am resolving to change my focus and motivation.  I am resolving to make my priority to be and bring a blessing to those who experience my creations.  I did not make myself to be an artist.  These talents have just happened to me and the joy they give me has caused me to work at my skills.  I am going to work at being a blessing.

Jesus said if someone makes you walk a mile, walk two with them.  If someone takes your coat, give him your shirt too.  Why should I look at my talent as something to horde?  God has given me this gift without any strings attached.  He has given it to me freely to use how ever I please, even for my own gain.  What if I give my talent away as freely as it has been given to me?  I know, there are going be to those who say, NO!  you will cheapen it for the rest of us!  I understand and I don't want to do that, but the greatest artists, those who have made really amazing stuff that has come down to us through the ages made it out of love... love of making beauty, love of entertaining and teaching people, love of the divine.  Money is nice, but it is not everything.  And for those who believe that God is good and that he provides for even those who do not love him, there is no need to fear.  I know sounds Polly Annaish but I believe this.

I want to give to others.  I want to make people smile and to be encouraged.  I want to create beauty.  I want to make that which will point to the God who has made us and loves all of humanity.  I want to be his instrument.

(I want to add that I had just started reading a book, APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur - How to Publish a Book, by Guy Kawasaki and Shawn Welch when this hit me with such clarity.  I am going to read the rest of it, interested in following their advice, but with a different motive.  Thanks for the book, guys).

Thank you for reading my thoughts.  I am not really writing to persuade anyone but myself and you have a right to your opinion and your own motivations.  It is none of my business what your motive might be, but I am intrigued by your thoughts on the matter because I want to understand others.  So, please feel free to share your comments on this post. I appreciate that you stopped by to read it!

4 comments:

  1. That's a great post Laura. I find that my motivation waxes and wanes with the moon, and often comes from different sources. Sometimes it's my children; staying home with them instead of going to work sounds like heaven to me. Other times it's my "career"; a busy, trying week makes me wish I could be doing something different. But mostly my motivation comes from my passion for creating art. It's my addiction. When I'm not sitting down, I'm thinking about it. I was meant to do something with my creativity. With that being said, I'm not ready to up and quit my career. I know what it's like to scrape by. I did a lot of praying back then and this is where He has taken me so far. But then maybe I needed to get here to go there. Ok maybe that doesn't make sense. In any case, He will provide. But you already know that. :) P.S. I might steal this blog subject, it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm blown away by how receptive your comment is! Marielle too!. I love are too and I lost it as I came into adulthood because of that horrid fear that says, "You must be practical and make money!" For a long time the only art I made was as Christmas gifts. It became something I wish I had time for. So now that I am making time for it, I keep having to listen to that little devil that says, "You must be practical and make money!" This is stealing my enjoyment, even if it is creating a challenge for me to really produce artwork. I just want to believe that God is going to take care of me if I will just be faithful to do the work he has made me to do. Yes, he has taken care of me so far while I have neglected the talent he gave to me, but maybe, he will take care of me even if all I do is make art and not money. Thanks, for the comment Amanda. You have become a true encouragement to me.

      Delete
  2. I read your post last friday and thought about motivation through the weekend. I guess I share your thoughts about finding out why we do what we do as a career or job. In my case I started out as an illustrator just for the money then years later I found the passion illustrating ethnic girls. So I decided to follow my passion. There has been times were I did receive a harsh critique from someone saying that I was taking advantage of a minority group because I was illustrating them and making a profit. So what people many times don't know is that I donate illustrations to organizations. But your post got me thinking that maybe it's not enough so I searched for more small non profits helping guatemalan girls, and offer my services as a volunteer and even if that represents an extra load of work I would feel Im giving with the gift that was given to me by God and forget about the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marielle, I am inspired by your reply. You and Amanda blew me away with your reactions to my post. It is hard to be creative with pure motives! But it is also unfair for people to judge if we make art with the intention of profit. The thing is, what is going on within us is what matters. I am just amazed that I made such an impression on your thought life over the weekend! I think that if you are doing things to help and nurture others, that is what it is all about. I hope that you find ways to do that and I believe you will be blessed for the effort, in more way than just monetary. Thank you so much for your comment. You are very encouraging and so giving with your advice and experience. I appreciate that.

      Delete